Can I insure a property that’s leased to Housing New Zealand?

Unfortunately we can’t cover houses that are rented or leased to Housing New Zealand (or other similar entities). This is because in effect Housing New Zealand is the tenant of the owner, rather than the state tenants that are actually living in the house. Under this arrangement, reference checks of tenants are done by Housing New Zealand, and not the property owner.

Part of the obligations under our cover is that the landlord or property manager does reference checks and regular inspections themselves. A commercial insurance policy is more suited to make sure you have the right cover.