House flip Insurance

Month-to-month insurance for a property purchased with the intention of selling.

Get an instant quote and start cover online.

Instant Flip Quote  Policy Benefits

What is a flip house?

Flips are generally properties you’ve purchased with the intention of selling in the foreseeable future. The most common include

  • Run-down or old house being renovated for re-value
  • Staging property filled with temporary furniture for sale
  • Unoccupied new build waiting to be sold

Why are they hard to cover?

Flips can be riskier as they are often left unoccupied, require improvement works and are short-term in nature. This can make it difficult to get short-term insurance for flip houses.

Initio is the only insurer to provide a custom short-term online insurance solution for property investors.

Initio Multi-unit Insurance Policy

Doing Renovation work to spruce up your Flip?

We provide cover for renovation works to your flip house, but it’s important to know where this cover starts and stops.

Trade Property Warranty

Cover is designed to protect you from serious incidents while you’re selling our flipping your property.

The standard policy excess is $5,000

If your house is fitted with an active monitored alarm or security system, the standard excess reduces to $1,000 for break-in or burglary.

  1. Online cover, in an instant

    It’s online and it’s easy. Purchase cover with month-to-month payments so you don’t need to fork out a full year’s payment.

    When your house is sold, simply login and stop the cover.

  1. The best investors in the business use Initio

    Initio is proud to support members of My Properties, a community of processional trade property investors.

    We understand what cover professional investors need.

House flip Insurance Features

Comprehensive House Insurance

Cover up to your chosen Replacement Sum Insured.
All the important including like Fire, Earthquake and Floods


Staged furniture and other contents items
Cover from $20,000 - $60,000

Major Malicious Damage

Malicious Fire & Explosion covered up to
the full replacement sum insured


Cover for break-in losses.
$5,000 excess, reducing to $1,000 if monitored alarm installed

Owners Legal Liability

$2 million of cover
Includes Bodily Injury and Defence Costs

Natural Disaster

Includes EQC Cover
Plus top up to the replacement value

Retaining Walls

Included up to $25,000

Accidental Damage

What this cover is designed foor.
Cover up to your chosen replacement sum insured

Common questions about House flip Insurance

Go to our quote calculator, enter the details of your property and select the property description as a Trade Property from the drop-down.

You’ll have a quote in just seconds, which you can insure in a few quick minutes.

You’ll need to choose a replacement sum insured that’s enough to fully demolish and rebuild your house to its existing size (using today’s building costs).

If you’re unsure what the rebuild costs would be, we recommend using the Cordell SumSure Calculator to help get an estimate.

See here for our full guide on choosing your sum insured.

For trade properties you will need to purchase a monthly policy on a debit or credit card.

We then automatically charge the card each month on the renewal date, and send you email confirmations each tome we do this.

Once the property is sold, you can log in to your initio dashboard and cancel the policy. A refund will be paid for the unused portion of the premium and the monthly payments will stop.

For more information on our monthly insurance payment method please see here.

Yes, the general rule of thumb is that there’s cover for cosmetic renovations. This is things like a kitchen refit, carpet replacement, painting, installing new bathrooms.

If you are doing major structural alterations that involve changes to the structural elements of the house you will not have cover. For construction related work a contract works insurance policy is required.

If you are unsure if the work you are doing is structural or cosmetic, please contact us.

The standard excess for Trade Property claims is $5,000.

For burglary, break-in or attempted break-in claims this excess will reduce to $1,000 if at the time of the incident you have a monitored, audible alarm operating at the property.

Yes, you automatically receive $20,000 of contents cover and this can include staged furniture if the property is being advertised for sale.

You can choose to increase this contents cover amount up to a maximum of $60,000.

Simply login to your initio dashboard and select the cancel cover option on the right hand side of the policy.

We will automatically pay you a proportionate refund for the remaining unused days of the policy cover. All future monthly payments are then stopped.

From our customers

We have found Initio great for cover for our new rental property. They were very competitive in price, application was easy and they replied to a query in a very timely manner.