Making a claim

When you need to claim, initio keeps it simple.  We use technology to pay claims fast.  We take claims seriously, and we are here to help.

Lodge a claim

We keep it simple


We work with you, and your trades so there is no delay.


Lodge your claim in minutes online at a time that suits you.


Get live updates on the progress of your claim.


Get claims paid fast, because that’s what we do.

How to claim with initio?

A claim can be processed a lot quicker if we have more information from the start!

  1. Stop further damage

    Firstly, take care of yourself and your property to prevent further loss or damage.

  2. Speak with an expert

    Arrange for a repairer to view and stop any further damage, report on the cause (if they’re able to) and provide a quotation to repair.

  3. Lodge your claim online

    Login to your dashboard

Smart CLaims

Common questions about claims

We make it super easy to lodge a claim.  Simply login to your initio dashboard and click the ‘Make a Claim’ button on the policy.  We will then ask you questions relevant to your type of loss to establish the severity of the damage and how we can help.


Once your claim is lodged the progress of the claim will show on your initio dashboard.  You will also receive an email update form us every time your claim progresses.


If you have a non-complex claim with all the information (e.g. something straightforward like broken glass, lost keys, minor water damage) we will settle your claim instantly.  We want to keep the claims process as simple as possible.


While making your claim, our smart claims process will guide you through the information needed to make your claim go faster.  The more information you can upload while submitting your claim the more likely your claim will be sorted quickly.


If it’s water damage from a leaking pipe for example (which is our most common claim) we will want to know where the leak is coming from and what the cause of the leak is. Even better if you have had your tradie look at the damage and provide an estimate for repair then we will want this also – if not we will assist you with finding a tradie.


The information required to accept and pay your claim does depend on what sort of loss it is.  For example the information required for a broken window is minimal whereas for a meth contamination claim we will require tenancy agreements, copies of property inspections, photos, and test results.

Only if the loss is major or determining the cause of loss is not straight forward.


We will work with you to determine whether an assessor needs to come to your property, but generally repairers can be used to scope damage and undertake the repair work.  We just want to keep it straight forward.

Many customers seem to think that they must leave things like water sodden carpet festering away until the insurance assessor turns up or their insurer says it can be taken out. This is definitely not the case.


Our advice is to start the clean-up process; take photos and get on with things. It is important to note that most insurers want you to take steps to reduce any further loss, and taking action aligns with this.


The exception here is fire damage, following a fire you will want to take steps to secure the property (e.g. boarding up entry doors) but you should leave the property as is so that fire investigators have the best chance of determining the origin of the fire.

It varies depending on the type of loss.


We would like to pay all claims within minutes (or even seconds) but sometimes we are constrained by the process of establishing the value of the loss.

Yes, for rental properties, holiday homes that are rented out, and own-homes that are rented, you have an automatic $20,000 of cover for loss of rents (this cover can be increased up to $80,000).


If your house suffers a loss and cannot be lived in you will be able to claim for loss of rental income. This means the tenants have had to move out and have stopped paying rent, or in the case of a short term rental (like a Airbnb rental) you won’t be able to rent the property until its repaired.   When you lodge your claim for the damage to the property we will work out the loss of rents cover in consultation with you, and we will make progress payments of the loss of rents while the property is being repaired.


You can also claim for loss of rental income you suffer because of a tenant leaving without notice or you having to evict a tenant.


Loss of rents claims can easily by made through your initio dashboard.



An excess is the contribution that you are required to make towards your claim. This is deducted from the loss and it is a form of self insurance. For house insurance At initio you have the choice between a $400, $650, $1,150 and $2,000 excess. If you can afford to contribute more towards claims, and want cheaper premiums, you can take a higher excess. Rather than pay the excess to the insurer, the insurer will usually deduct your excess from the cash settlement or from the first repairer payment it makes. You are then responsible for settling this account directly with the repairer.


Why do I have to pay an excess?

One reason for an excess is to eliminate the administration costs associated with minor or small claims. By making the client responsible for the first portion of a claim, small claims can be avoided. Another reason why insurers charge an excess is to try and prevent fraudulent claims. People are less likely to lodge a false claim when they are responsible for payment of an excess.

An event is defined as an event (yes the policy defines a word with the same word!) or series of events arising from one source or original cause. Where a single claim is made up by multiple events, multiple excesses would apply.


Still confused?

Lets say a dog defecated in multiple rooms of your house. You could look at this two ways; you could say that it is multiple events because the dog relieved himself multiple times (multiple excesses would apply). Or you could say that is is a series of events arising from one source or original cause (being the dog). In this claims scenario we would consider the period of time that the damage took place. If the series of events had been happening over the period of the tenancy then multiple excesses would apply (likely an excess per room). However, if the damage took place in a very short period of time, say the dog was locked inside for a day, only one excess would apply.

No, not all losses have the same excess. Some policy sub-limits have different excesses, these will be identified on your policy schedule. For example, while your nominated excess might be $650, the excess specifically applying to meth contamination is $2,500, while the excess for broken glass in your own home is $250.

Login to your initio dash and follow the meth steps.  We’ve paid heaps of meth claims and while they are somewhat complex, if you have all the information handy the claim process and cleanup should run efficiently.

We’ve compiled a quick guide so that you know what to expect:

Positive meth test guide 

Customers rate our claims service

By Quinton,
Feb 11, 2020
To be honest this claim was ridiculously easy and fast, this is without a doubt the benchmark now for all insurance companies. Brilliant !!
By Pam,
Jan 22, 2020
You guys ROCK!!!! I was happy with your service (as you can actually speak to real people when you need to!) but your online system is fantastic! I also sadly had to have a pretty big claim with you when I had fairly recently changed to your company for my insurance needs - and was just totally blown away with the efficiency and professionalism of how you handled it all! Keep up the fantastic work - and I cant wait till you do vehicle cover too!
By Deion,
Jan 15, 2020
So easy to establish the cover and the one time I had a claim it was dealt with very fast and fairly.
By Aaron,
Dec 7, 2019
Easy to deal with and no problems when making claims.
By Cathy,
Dec 3, 2019
I have had a recent claim with Initio and the service was great!
By Graeme,
Oct 17, 2019
Easy to renew policies and when I made a claim it was handled quickly and well.
By Wolfgang,
Aug 27, 2019
Been a customer for a few years, now. Always been happy with the service, also in claims situation. :-)
By Lucy,
Aug 27, 2019
Easy to deal with and dealt with our one claim promptly and well.
By Alan,
Aug 19, 2019
Easy claim process and very helpful staff members, would definitely recommend Initio.
By Richard,
Jul 19, 2019
Easy to use, good information and I did a claim last year after Cyclone Fehi that was handled well. With thanks Richard
By Graham,
Jun 5, 2019
Easy to operate systems, good communication with claims.
By Pam,
Apr 27, 2019
As always have stated the ease of taking out a policy. But sadly now I am having to add that I have had to claim on a rental property and after an initial hickup and being very stressed out, have found that they are handling this situation with compassion and understanding and it is certainly making the horrific process of damage and loss so much more bearable with their help and support - although we are a long way off completing the clean up and repair (which is quite extensive) am so so so happy that I chose Initio and am no longer with my old insurance company! Thank you Initio!
By Anthony,
Apr 18, 2019
The right policy at the right price plus you have been excellent when it comes to making claims
By Josh,
Mar 26, 2019
When it comes to making a claim, Initio have amazing customer service. They were extremely helpful every step of the way.
By Billie Sue,
Mar 26, 2019
Super easy to deal with even when I had to put in a meth claim. Highly recommend for other landlords.
By Debra,
Mar 20, 2019
Intuitive online process, always been good when I've had claims or queries, very efficient and accessible.
By Lorna,
Mar 7, 2019
Easy to purchase and we have had a claim that was taken care of very promptly.
By Nina,
Feb 28, 2019
Great service! It's simple, very transparent and great customer service with claims.
By Chris,
Jan 27, 2019
Nothing you can do about it I guess, but we are still pretty annoyed at what took place with our first and only claim a couple of years or so ago when we had a tenant deliberate damage claim, and the insurer tried to avoid the claim by telling us each individual hole was a separate event attracting the excess in each and every case. This to us was an act of absolute bad faith, and effectively rendered the tenant damage cover completely unclaimable. We may have battled our way to having the excess applied per room instead, and very begrudgingly worn that, but as honest and careful landlords that experience leaves a bitter taste in our mouths to this day.
By Mark,
Jan 14, 2019
Having assembled all the documentation prior to lodging the claim, such as the police report number, photos and a quote to fix - the claim was accepted and paid out all on the same day. This is efficient beyond words.
By Wolfgang,
Dec 28, 2018
Claims service was caring and professional. Can't ask for more.
By Beryl,
Dec 19, 2018
Just insured our new build through your website (via NZPIF) and what a breeze! Thanks. Awesome service.
By Sue,
Oct 19, 2018
We were dreading lodging a claim after our property suffered storm damage. Most of what you hear about is insurance company's finding ways to avoid ever paying out with some tiny fine print so we put it in, expecting the worst. However our experience with Initio was anything but. They were very quick and efficient with responding, fair and very helpful with us settling the claim. And so patient while we worked with tradesmen to try and repair everything - it took them many months and we never felt pressured by Initio. I wish all insurance company's were this easy to deal with!
By Ray,
Aug 31, 2018
Overall excellent claim service, thank you
By Shane,
Aug 16, 2018
Super fast claim service and great interaction with claim staff both over the phone and via email.
By Glenda,
Aug 2, 2018
I lodged the claim online late at night and was advised by 10am the next morning that the money was in my account. This was way beyond my expectations and allowed me to buy a new phone immediately. I have since told a number of people about my experience with Initio. I was very happy with the prompt service. I found out about Initio because it is recommended at Property Investors Palmerston North. It gives me great cover for a reasonable price. Thank you.
By Warren,
May 30, 2018
Prompt and professional claim service
By Lorna,
May 28, 2018
Our tenant has said the tradespeople were wonderful to deal with and they were amazed how promptly this claim was repaired.
By Tony,
May 25, 2018
I was very pleased with the whole claim process.
By Penelope,
May 11, 2018
My excellent experience with the claim team at Initio has removed the anxiety associated with approaching my insurance company when making any future claim.
By Jamie,
Apr 30, 2018
I was very stressed out to find my rental property had come back with a very high reading for meth, but I found making a claim with Initio to be very easy, and after speaking with the Initio claims manager I felt very relieved and reassured. The only criticism I would have with the process would be how long the loss adjuster took to do their part, which I do understand is somewhat out of Initio's control as they are a third party. I am generally happy with my claim experience overall and will recommend Initio to other people.
By Paul,
Apr 25, 2018
I like that you are patient and that you were able to answer any questions that I had about the claims process. The claims process went smoothly which helped a lot when I was quite stressed over the house flood.
By Nigel,
Apr 6, 2018
You made it so easy, and fast payment
By Chris,
Jan 31, 2018
Very effecient and friendly staff. The online claim form is very easy to use and convenient. Claims were easy and payments were quick. Due to these reasons, I have just renewed my policy for 2018-19 with initio.
By Georgina,
Jan 19, 2018
Very effecient and friendly staff. The online claim form is very easy to use and convenient.
By Claire,
Nov 10, 2017
Our claim was in relation to a Meth issue. The situation was very distressing and overwhelming. The initio claims manager was very calming, showed empathy and always very bubbly and listened to my concerns. I cannot speak highly enough of her handling of our situation. The process has been speedy and efficient. This is our second claim with initio and both times I have had a good experience.
By Martin,
Oct 7, 2017
I was amazed how quickly the claim was settled. Very good service.
By Cheny,
Oct 6, 2017
Excellent claims experience
By Christiane,
Oct 6, 2017
Fast efficient claims experience. Very friendly and helpful claims manager. Would choose initio again.