IMPORTANT: If your house is unsecure, unsafe or vulnerable to more damage, get a professional to make the house livable and we’ll work through the costs together later.
After ensuring the house is secure and everyone is safe, here’s what to do if you have home and contents insurance with Initio:
- Take a photo of the damage.
- Complete any urgent repairs ie glazing, tree removal etc
- Get a quote to repair the remaining damage.
- Log in to your dashboard on the initio website and click on make a claim
- Fill in the form and send us the photo and quote.
- We’ll email or call you within 1 business day.
Black water alert
As a precaution, homes that have been inundated with flood waters from the street or rivers should be treated as contaminated (black water) and extra care taken. See our guidelines on black water and cleaning up after a flood.
- Can I use my own repairer or do Initio have approved repairers that I must use?
You can use any repairer you like. So long as their costs are reasonable and you are happy with the standard of work, then we’re happy.
- My holiday home has potentially been damaged by a storm, but we’re not going there for another month, can I claim that late after the date of the storm?
You can claim for damage after the loss; however, it is an absolute requirement that you do everything you can to ensure any damage is kept as minimal as possible. If you are not able to get to your holiday home yourself, then you’ll need to get someone else to go and check it to make sure that no urgent repairs are needed.
- What is my excess?
This amount is chosen by you when you buy the insurance, if you can’t remember, just check your policy schedule (you’ll find this document on your dashboard).
- Will Initio send an assessor to look before I fix anything?
An assessor may be appointed to your claim if the loss looks to be substantial. Please note that you don’t have to wait for an assessor, to complete urgent repairs like smashed windows and doors.
“All claims are different and they are assessed on their own merits and facts. The above does not imply a guaranteed approach to all such claims”