What work is covered by a House flip policy?

Our House flip cover is designed to help you through short-term cosmetic renovations, without the hassle of a commercial insurance cover.

It’s important to know the difference between cosmetic and structural renovations. We’ll cover cosmetic renovations, whilst structural renovations won’t be covered.

Works covered by a House flip policy

Cosmetic Renovations

If you’re doing cosmetic renovations to your house (with no structural alterations) you can place cover under a House flip policy.

What’s considered ‘Cosmetic Renovations’?

Cosmetic renovations are work that doesn’t involve structural alterations or changes to the house. Some examples that are covered by the House flip cover are:

  • Painting (outside and inside)
  • Installing new carpets
  • Replacing a toilet
  • Removing a non-load bearing wall

Works that won’t be covered by a House flip policy

Structural Renovations

The House flip cover is not designed to cover work that involves changes to the house’s structural make-up. This kind of work should be covered by a separate contract works policy on the house.

What’s considered ‘Structural Renovations’?

Some examples of structural work are:

  • Re-roofing
  • Building a new extension to the house
  • Removing a load-bearing wall
  • Re-cladding the house’s exterior

Note that this isn’t an exhaustive list. If you’re still unsure if the work you’re doing is structural, please get in touch.

Doing Structural Work and need contract works cover?

For a specialist online  contract works solution you can contact BuiltIn Insurance. BuiltIn are New Zealand’s trade insurance experts and have an online Contract Works insurance offering where you can get a quote for your works online, and purchase online too.

Like initio, BuiltIn are underwritten by NZI so this means that you will have the same ultimate underwriter for the house and contract works risk, which is important.

BuiltIn Contract Works Quote