Can you insure a tiny home?

Tiny Homes; as the name suggests, are smaller and more affordable houses typically less than 15 metres long that are becoming more popular in New Zealand.

Portable Tiny Homes

If your Tiny Home or similar portable house is on a trailer we can’t cover it under a standard house insurance policy. If the house can be moved (even if it isn’t your intention to do so) it’s considered more like a caravan.

Permanently situated Tiny Homes

We can cover a Tiny Home if it’s permanently fixed, connected to local services and is fully self contained. It will also need a Code of Compliance or a Certificate of Acceptance. Basically, only houses that meet the definition of a compliant residential house can be covered by our policy.

If you’re unsure if your house can be insured send us an email at [email protected] with some details.