Landlord insurance basics

Landlord Insurance Guide

Landlord Insurance is different to standard house insurance. It covers the house itself, and the extra risks you face being a landlord. Homeowners are exposed to standard risks such as fire, floods, and earthquakes. Landlords are exposed to these standard homeowner risks, as well as the risks associated with… Learn more

Am I covered for damage caused by Pets?

Your policy will cover you for sudden and accidental damage caused by a pet.  The main areas to consider in regards to any claim for pet damage.   The damage must relate to a “sudden” and “accidental” event.  For example, if your tenant’s dog… Learn more

Can more than one excess apply to a claim?

There can be unfortunate scenarios where you may have to pay your excess more than once when you make a single house insurance claim. We try to make insurance transparent for everyone, but there are insurance conventions that we have to work with.  Applying an excess per event can be… Learn more

Why can’t I get insurance for social housing?

It’s becoming more common for landlords to rent their houses to social housing providers. It can however, be difficult to get residential house insurance cover for these properties. Standard residential house insurance doesn’t fit There’s a few reasons a domestic house insurance policy isn’t well suited for houses under a… Learn more

Can I hold my tenant responsible for damage?

The answer is, it depends. There are circumstances where a tenant is considered liable, but this can be a little murky. Let’s have a quick look at some key parts of the 2019 Residential Tenancies Act for insights into how you may experience it as a landlord. Learn more

What counts as a self-contained unit?

To be self-contained a premises must contain the facilities necessary for day-to-day living on an indefinite basis. There must be somewhere: • to cook; • to sleep; • to live; • to wash; and • to carry out ablutions. The facilities needed to live in a self-contained… Learn more

Am I covered for loss of rent?

Any rental property under our landlord insurance cover automatically includes loss of rent protection. This can also be included in our holiday home cover if you also rent your bach to guests. There are two different scenarios where this cover applies. a) Damage to the property Loss of rent applies… Learn more

Can you insure a rental property and attached unit under one policy?

If there are two self-contained rental units at one address, they can only be insured collectively under our multi-unit cover if they’re connected. The multi-unit cover is cost effective way of insuring two connected units under a single policy and payment. If the two units or houses are… Learn more

Is my unoccupied property still covered?

If your property is left empty, vacant or unoccupied you don’t need to tell us but there are some things to be aware of. Unless we’ve agreed with you otherwise, the below standard conditions will apply to your cover. Rental Property Cover stays unchanged if your rental property is not… Learn more

How often do I need to do property inspections?

There needs to be an inspection done every three months and in between tenancies to meet our landlord obligations. This can be done yourself or by the person that manages your tenancy (e.g. property manager). The inspection will need to confirm the interior and exterior condition of the property… Learn more

Can I insure an un-consented garage?

It’s common for older houses to have un-consented garages. Usually this is because a garage was added to the house without a full code of compliance being approved. This doesn’t necessarily mean the garage isn’t up to standards and can’t be covered. To cover an un-consented garage it will need… Learn more

Can I insure a boarding house?

In a boarding house, each tenant rents a room rather than the whole house. They then share facilities such as the kitchen with the other tenants, and in many cases each tenant has their own bathroom. We can insure boarding house’s with five or less rooms (tenants). If your boarding… Learn more

Is Meth Testing Required?

Regular meth testing isn’t a condition you have to meet, but we do recommend it. We cover up to $30,000 for meth cleaning under our landlord cover. You won’t need to test between tenancies to have meth cleaning cover, but regular tests can come in handy when you want to… Learn more

Do I have glass cover?

There’s broken glass cover under all our house policies. Windscreen and glass damage can also be covered on your car. The excess that applies depends on the policy that’s in place. House Insurance Our home insurance cover has a lower $250 excess for glass, that replaces the standard excess… Learn more

Can I insure a body corporate?

We can not insure properties that are owned under a Body Corporate. Our cover is designed for domestic residential houses that have a single owner. Under a Body Corporate their is a manager that collectively is responsible for insuring all the units on behalf of each owner. This is common… Learn more

Can I insure a property that's leased to Housing New Zealand?

Unfortunately we can’t cover houses that are rented or leased to Housing New Zealand (or other similar entities). This is because in effect Housing New Zealand is the tenant of the owner, rather than the state tenants that are actually living in the house. Under this arrangement, reference checks of… Learn more

Can I insure a house bought in a mortgagee sale?

In most cases insurers won’t provide cover for houses that were sold under a mortgagee sale.  This is because of the increased and known risk associated with this type of property sale.  However, we know that all mortgagee sales are different so can consider cover on a case… Learn more

Are Renovations or Extensions to my home covered?

Renovations may or not be covered by our house insurance depending on whether it involves structural or cosmetic work. Cosmetic Renovations Cosmetic renovations with no structural changes to your house are covered, and you don’t need to disclose this. Examples of cosmetic renovations include re-painting, installing new carpet or replacing… Learn more

Is my rental property covered for Meth?

Meth Contamination is one of the largest loss leaders for landlords in New Zealand. Cleaning costs for a well contaminated house can easily cost over $10,000. When do we cover meth testing and cleaning costs? If you have our landlord cover and you get a positive reading… Learn more

What is a multi-unit rental property?

What is a Multi Unit Rental Property? A Multi Unit Rental Property consists of two or more units, townhouses or flats that share the same roof or are connected in some way (e.g. car-port or deck).  Each unit must be self contained and have the same owner. Some examples… Learn more