Specialist Cover for Holiday Homes

As a holiday home owner, you need an insurance policy that provides good cover when you’re not there as well as when someone else is holidaying at your home.

Get Holiday Home Quote

Enjoy some of the best policy coverage and claims management available to holiday home owners.

At initio we understand that your holiday home could be advertised online, and that on occasion you may have paying guests staying. Or perhaps your holiday home is only used by your friends and family. When you insure with initio we give you the choice, so either way you get the right cover for the right price.

Holiday homes are often left vacant for extended periods, we know this and we make sure that the cover continues regardless of when the property was last occupied.  We also know that your holiday home is furnished and that some of your personal items may remain at the property, and this is why we provide you with a range of contents insurance options.

Here are some of the great features of the Initio policy

Comprehensive House Insurance

Cover up to Sum Insured
Excess is your choice of $400 / $650 / $1,150 / $2,000

Loss of Rent - following property damage

Covered up to 52 weeks
Cover from $20,000 to $80,000

Owners / Landlords Contents

Items under 5 years of age
covered for replacement
Cover from $20,000 to $220,000

Major Malicious Damage

Fire & Explosion covered
up to the replacement value

Deliberate Damage by Guests

Covered up to $25,000

Retaining Walls

Included up to $25,000

Methamphetamine Contamination – Manufacture

Covered up to $30,000
Excess $2,500

Natural Disaster

Includes EQC Cover
Plus top up to the replacement value

Recreational Features

Swimming Pools, Spa Pools and Tennis Courts
Included up to $45,000

Owners Legal Liability Cover

$2 million of cover
Includes Bodily Injury and Defence Costs

Unoccupancy exceeding 60 days

Cover up to Sum Insured
Your chosen excess will apply if the property is inspected every 60 days, is adequately maintained, mail is cleared, water supply turned off and all doors and windows secured.

How likely are our customers to recommend initio?

By Alan,
Quick and easy, seems a fair price.
By Joanne,
Easy system to use, type of cover suits our application.
By Jocelyn,
Your policy is tailored to my needs. Renewal is very easy.
By Heidi,
Great, fast, professional service and good prices.
By Malcolm,
By Bob,
By Graham & Lynne,
Have been recommending to others for a number of years. Have had great service.
By Gregory,
Because your policy is suited to our needs ie holiday home that is rented out. Thankyou.
By Kevin,
By Gib,
Easy to review, update, renew, all good.
By Giles,
Super easy renewal process, competitive premiums
By Quinton,
To be honest this claim was ridiculously easy and fast, this is without a doubt the benchmark now for all insurance companies. Brilliant !!
By Sandra,
It's so simple.
By Caroline,
By Kathryn,
By Deion,
very easy to do and great holiday home cover package
By Judith,
Service from staff is always efficient. Website is easy to use.
By Henry,
Good value for bach owners
By Joanne,
So easy!!
By Stuart,
By Stephen,
By Lesley,
Easy to organise on-line. Half the price of previous insurer who took 2 months (and numerous phone calls & emails) to provide a quote because they didn't know what Airbnb was!
By Peter,
Dealt with a recent claim quickly and efficiently. Plus it was fair.
By Shiree,
By Sandy,
Easy and offers the type of insurance products that match our rental property needs.
By Mervyn,
Easy to complete and reasonable price
By Loretta,
easy to sign up and use (havent made a claim though)
By Toni,
Prompt & friendly service received recently, thank you.
By Leigh,
Easy to renew. Suited to our holiday house with free contents.
By Bronwyn,
By Andrew,
By yue,
By Darren,
By Rowan,
Good value and easy to set up.
By Paula,
Pure luck finding Initio on a website where someone had commented and said they were with you. I knew there had to be something in between Landlords insurance and Commercial, as I was getting quotes of $2500-$3000 which were excessive for an airbnb property. The on-line chat was helpful and gave me the answers I wanted. However the fact everything is on-line makes me a little nervous as there are always loopholes with insurance and I was on the wrong policy with my last supplier so just hope we have got this right.
By Christopher,
Haven't made claim so could be wrong but so far excellent service after 2 years
By Jennifer,
It was so simple, I have been waiting for AMI to give me an answer as to whether they would insure my property for days even though I've been with them for 11 years! You specialise in holiday rentals and are aware of the risks involved. thanks!
By Cameron,
bookabach specific. perfect for us. would like to be able to spread it out quarterly though
By Sue,
We were dreading lodging a claim after our property suffered storm damage. Most of what you hear about is insurance company's finding ways to avoid ever paying out with some tiny fine print so we put it in, expecting the worst. However our experience with Initio was anything but. They were very quick and efficient with responding, fair and very helpful with us settling the claim. And so patient while we worked with tradesmen to try and repair everything - it took them many months and we never felt pressured by Initio. I wish all insurance company's were this easy to deal with!
By Robyn,
Ease of renewal and everything clearly explained.
By Chris,
In just 6 years our premiums have almost doubled. I know it's not your fault, but that doesn't stop it from being wrong. I am especially surprised when it comes to holiday houses that there is no benefit for having an alarm system in the house, which I would have thought highly desirable from an insurer's point of view ?
By Natalie,
Highly competitive premiums
By Stephen,
Compared to other providers, policy was clear and straightforward. There were no tricks or loops in the wording.
By Heather,
Easy to understand. No frustrating salespeople.
By Sharon,
Haven't done a claim yet so don't know the process
By Theo,
Because it's easy to renew and, good if you have a holiday home.
By Phil,
By Dennis and Barbara,
By Alex,
Extremely easy to arrange, intuitive website, clear terms and conditions
I have found it very easy to deal with initio
By Scott,
Ease of engagement. Website is very intuitive and easy to navigate
By Stephanie,
It seems really expensive - especially when no claims have been made in the years we've been with them. Although I haven't bothered to enquire elsewhere!
By Belinda,
Very easy to renew policy, like the Website as well
By Philip,
Very easy
By Glenn,
Very easy process.
By Mary,
Very easy simple process and a good price. I haven't had to make a claim yet so have to hold off a star until that happens - hopefully never! Thanks
By Josh,
By Colleen,
Options, easy claims, suits my exact needs.
By Shane,
Super fast claim service and great interaction with claim staff both over the phone and via email.
By Casey,
By frank & deborah,
Easy use
By richard and christine,
By Andrew,
Fast and easy. A great cover at a good price.
By Heather,
Meets our needs perfectly providing insurance for our Bach that we also rent out as a short term rental. Easy communication and staff very helpful.
By Cullum,
Quick and easy to get insured. Very helpful and friendly support staff
By Hamish,
Good sensible online service. Withholding one star as haven't yet had to make a claim so can't comment on this.
By derek,
quick, easy and reliable
By Lynn,
Easy process and good cover specific to short term rental holiday homes.
By Richard,
By Cathi,
Simple renewal process. Also claim process very straightforward, we were very well looked after by Initio when we had a flood in 2016, only 2 months after taking out this policy with them. Happy to continue with our custom.
By Penelope,
Easy to set up. Cheaper than other options- but it has increased substantially in the last two years!
By Michael Lawrence,
Competitive and simple to renew
By Kim,
Price increases over 20% in 2 years on a new property.
By Karen,
Excellent service and great products
By Karen,
helpful phone staff straightforward online system being able to get cover for home I also holiday let
By Irene,
I have had good communication when I phoned and it has been an easy process
By William,
By Ian,
Ability to offer cover tailormade for my situation - rural holidayhome
By Alan,
Simple process, excellent pricing. No hassles.
By Duncan,
By Robert,
By Jennifer,
Efficient and easy process to insure, with clear and concise detail requirements and cover provisions. Also made in reliance on the claims process (which we hope never to have to use) being similarly efficient and straightforward, with personal Initio attention and availability as required.
By Ross,
By Dennis and Barbara,
Easy and cost effective
By Tanya,
Because it is designed specifically for holiday homes.
By Samuel,
Cheap and easy to use.
By Kelvin & Kathlene,
Courteous Service and cover designed for and recommended by Book a Batch
By Barry,
I am in Paris on Holiday, and this was easy....
By Peter,
All good but no option to pay monthly
By Bill,
No problems so far during our only claim
By Dian,
I was not told that a 3 month period closes for EQC claims. It would have been helpful to know this as we have just found some damage under our house that was a result fo the KaiKoura quake in Nov 2016. We never go under our house but saw this last week due to the council wanting to put in some water drains by our home. Hence we saw the damage under there.
By Gregory,
My limited dealings have been exemplary.
By Ian,
By Elenor,
Seems like good service and value.
By laurie,
Easy to deal with . Clear options available at policy renewal
By Paul,
I would prefer to pay in quarterly payments
By Malcolm,
By Roger,
easy to navigate website
By Sheri & Phil,
quick and easy
By Sharon,
Initio is quick and easy to use and there is always someone there to talk to
By Heidi,
By Kevin,
Value for money
By Giles,
By Carol,
Ease of service / Looking after homes that are rented sometimes / good reminders / good support. Thank you
By Janine,
Hassle free - I hope claims, if any, are this easy!!
By James & Gloria,
The process is so easy to renew and pay. I haven't had to lodge a claim but I am hoping that it will be as easy if the need every arises.
By Marian,
Easy to deal with and comfortable with explanations as to policy wording particularly as a holiday rental can be tricky to define.
By Cecilia,
Ease to take out policy. If I had a claim I would be able to assess whether a 5 star warranted
By Martin,
I was amazed how quickly the claim was settled. Very good service.